Rights to know - For Prepaid Users
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India ( TRAI ) has framed following guidelines to mobile phone users across India.
We are presenting these guidelines in the form of Question and answers to you.
1. Can a prepaid subscriber avail any services even after his talk time is exhausted?
Services which do not affect talk time value, including incoming voice calls and SMS shall continue to be available to the prepaid
subscribers during validity period even after talk time value has exhausted.
2. Can a pre-paid subscriber migrate to post-paid and vice-versa?
Yes, migration from pre-paid to post-paid and vice-versa is allowed without any migration charge and without having to change the mobile number.
3. If prepaid subscriber feels that he is being overcharged, Can he get itemized usage details in respect of his mobile connection?
Yes, if a prepaid subscriber makes a request for itemized usage details, the service provider is required to supply to him the same for
a period of six months preceding the month in which the request has been made. The service provider may charge a reasonable cost not
]exceeding Rupees Fifty for providing such details.
4. Is Incoming SMS free while roaming ?
Yes. Incoming SMS is free while roaming.
5. Can the unused amount in recharge coupons be carried forward?
Yes, any unused balance in the prepaid account shall be carried forward and credited if the subscriber recharges within the period specified for the purpose
6. Can TRAI help a consumer in resolving individual complaints?
The TRAI Act, 1997 does not envisage handling of individual consumer complaints by TRAI. As per the Telecom Consumers Protection and
Redressal of Grievances Regulations, 2007, in case a consumer has a complaint, the first step is to register the complaint at the
toll free Call Centre number of the service provider and obtain a docket number, confirming registration of the complaint.